- Youth will have a sense of pride in where we come from
- Our people will practise our customs to the fullest and will prosper in every way
- We will love ourselves and all people, healing from the intergenerational trauma that affects the community
- Break cycles and learn to walk in each world, ours, and the settler world with a better understanding
- Freedom within our traditional territorial lands which we will use to the fullest and make sure it is respected, cared for, and loved
- Our culture and language will be revitalized
– CCP Youth Council Vision Statement 2022
What is the Community Comprehensive Plan & Youth Council (CCP)?
What is the CCP?
A Comprehensive Community Plan is an important tool on the road to self-governance and building capacity in First Nations communities. Comprehensive Community Planning is a process that engages community members in planning a holistic long-term vision for the community.
What is the Youth Council (Planning Commitee)?
The Youth Council Planning Team will provide input into the comprehensive community planning processes to reflect youth perspectives, ideas, needs and recommendations.
The activities of the CCP Youth Council Team include:
- Reviewing emerging plans and feedback from the on-going CCP activity and contributing to planning activity as part of the on-going discussions.
- Providing recommendations on short-term and long range planning results and issues and ensuring future plans reflect the youth life cycle and youth needs.
- Making the time necessary to engage and participate in discussions and decisions required to support the development of a long-term community plan; and participating in learning sessions deemed important to developing a good understanding of the planning processes.
- Ensuring there are inclusive Youth perspectives and reflection embedded throughout the emerging community plans that will impact youth in the future.
- Engaging in and supporting short-term Youth projects, should such an activity be determined as beneficial to the community planning processes.
- The Youth Planning Team will review the objectives, goals and performance measurement proposed for the Final Long-term Community Plan.
Composition (Who is the Youth Council?)
Youth Planning Team will include 10-13 Kitigan Zibi citizens in the age range of 16 to 35.
Subject and Narrative Focuses
- Algonquin Identity, Values, Leadership & Governance
- Re-imagining Our Systems after the Indian Act, Agency, & Community collaboration.
- Develop a vision of Kitigan Zibi community and development in 10 and 20 years.
Virtual and In-person consultation and conversation on Traditional Governance and Economy: Open to Kitigan Zibi Anishinabeg Youth ages 16-35 years old. Subjects: Governance of the Future in 2045, Our Future Economy, Re-imagining Our System after the Indian Act Discussion Break-out Sessions: (4 subtopics: Citizenship, Representation, Identity, *Decolonizing, Building Nationhood)
Next Scheduled Youth Council Meetings
- Inaugural Meeting June 02, 2022
- June 29, 2022
- July 22, 2022
- August 17, 2022
- September 21, 2022
- December 20, 2022
- March 8, 2023
- April 5, 2023
- May 17, 2023
- June 26, 2023
- July 25, 2023
- August 23, 2023
- September 21, 2023
- October 2023 TBD
Meeting Minutes from completed sessions & results below. Recordings are available upon request.